Saturday, February 19, 2011

I wish...oh I wish....I were 8



Tonight on ABC Family one of my favorite movies was on....Titanic! Now I know what you are thinking, I am a girl so of course I am going to love a "love story" but really its one of my favorites because it is the first movie I remember going to with all the women in my family. I felt so grown up going on a girls night to the movies and being only about 8 it was a HUGE privilege I was considered old enough to see this movie..one because it was PG-13 and I was again only 8, but mainly because I never got to go on the "girls nights" with anyone. My girls nights consisted of chuck-e-cheese, grilled cheese, and Disney sing-a-longs (not that that has changed a lot...)

Now to be honest I don't really recall who was with me when I saw it (I was only 8) apart from my mom, and my meme but the point is....I will always associate this movie with being somewhat of a grown up..and right now in my life I am having trouble grasping the fact that I am actually becoming a real grown up....

Its crazy to think about when you are younger and all you really want is to be older..you want to be able to do whatever you want, go wherever you want, and be whoever you want..but then once you are on the horizon of actually being able to do all that; all you really want is to go back to the way things were when you were 8....when the biggest choice you had to make was if you wanted the crust on your sandwich or off, or whether you wanted Barbie was going to wear a pink or purple dress to the ball...but now when I am about to make some major life decisions I am stopped in my tracks...and all I want is to regress into my 8 year old self...

but then I remember why I like being an adult...

1. I LOVE driving myself places
2. I like being able to buy people present for holidays/birthdays with my money (even if it's not much)
3. I like being able to choose where I go
4. I like the thought of having my own place soon
5. I love that fact that I have a great man, that I see a future with (in the future)
6. I like that fact I can think of our future now without being told "you have to be an adult to think like that"
7. I love that fact he is content with right now as I am, and we agree the future is in the future 
9. I like being able to purchase things I normally couldn't (even though I don't purchase any of those things)
9. I like that fact I have options in front of me for a career
10. I like that fact that one day I can see my self with a family, just not now
11. I love the fact that I have big choices in front of me, even if I am terrified
12. I like the fact I have awesome friends
13. I love my being able to do crazy things with my family
14. I love that fact my relationship with God has grown just like I have

The fact is: you can't stay 8 forever...you have to progress and change, otherwise life would not really be something to live, and as I grow older I realize growing up isn't that bad. Yes things will change, yes there will be times it won't be all rainbows and butterflies, but without change where would we be? Stuck as a never changing, never growing 8 year old....and who really wants to be 8 forever?

Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."



No comments:

Post a Comment